Subject: RE: OT--Need Javascript help
From: Jason Nugent
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 03:08:46 +0100

On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, Dandeneau David wrote:
> Could you maybe use a query string to do that. I don't know exactly how
> they work, but maybe you could change differnet variables in the query
> string to save the variables, and then have the end page look at the
> variables from the query string to find out what to display.
> ex.'http://[sitename]/check.htm?button1=on&Button2=off&button3=on
> etc...'
> I am not quiet sure if this would work without a server, but I don't see
> why you couldn't just add a string to the url with some script. url +
> "?button1=on" and keep on adding the variable declarations.
> I hope I am not just rambling about something that isn't possible....
> Thanks,
> David Dandeneau
> USFilter

Generally, you need a server to do anything with the query
string. With JavaScript, at least, once a page has been generated, for
the most part it is static (you can't alter the title, for instance).
However, you can re-write the contents of a layer using JavaScript and
the open(), write(), and close() methods. These methods can be used to
completely re-create a CSS layer (not necessarily the same thing as a
Netscape layer) and then display it once the layer is closed off.
For example:

document.myDynamicLayer.document.open(); // not really needed,
// but included for clarity

document.myDynamicLayer.document.write("<HTML>");
.
.
.
.
document.myDynamicLayer.document.write("</HTML>");
document.myDynamicLayer.document.close();

Soooooo, you could use a function to dynamically create a new
page based on your checkboxes, and then either swap the CSS component to
the top of the page by setting its visibility flag to "visible" or
increasing its Z-index to a value higher than anything else in the document.
In the code above, myDynamicLayer is a CSS ID assigned to a
particular block of text using a DIV tag, for instance.

Or, you could just do something really cool in flash, like using
GOTO frames and so on to get the desired effect. Actually, to be honest,
this is probably the way to go. If you stick with Flash, you can pretty
much be assured your stuff will work in browsers that have the
plugin/activeX control.... the CSS techique will only work in browsers
that support it (Netscape 4, IE 4).

I hope this helps,

Jason

Jason Nugent, BSc(Hons)
ap958atchebucto [dot] ns [dot] ca "This is who we are."
jasonatirt [dot] org
Certified Webmaster

Visit IRT.org - Internet Related Technologies - http://www.irt.org
Articles on all aspects of internet development, including -
CGI/Perl, CSS, JavaScript, dHTML, Java, XML, HTML