Subject: Re: 3D objects
From: Joe Crawford
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 22:07:00 +0100

Paul wrote:

> We have played around with using adobe dimensions exporting a sequence of
> illustrator files with some success but the quality isn't that great. Check
> out this site and see what you all think. 3D animations are pretty nice.
> How'd they do that?

Using a series of .ai files is overkill - lots of individual vector
objects chewing up memory. Better to use symbols made in Dimensions
and tweak them in Flash and get the benefits of the library, and
with Flash3: morphing.

One of the older instances of 3-D effects in Flash is this
<http://www.shell.co.uk/Flash/index.html> which I think holds up as
a very nice use of 3-D look and feel. I'm partial to my ancient
Flash 2 piece
<http://home.earthlink.net/~artlung/flash_introduction_2.html> -
which were done with Illustrator in concert with KPT Vector Effects.

It seems to me that an easy solution to 3-D looking Flash stuff like
Matinee and or Gabo -- by simply esporting from Infini-D or 3DMax or
Rhino or whatever - is not to be coming very soon. I think Flash on
the web is better when it's slightly simpler.

I quite liked matinee, but when I viewed it on a colleagues P2/233,
It ran twice (:-0) as fast. I use a P166 here at work and most of
the examples crawled. I don't know about you all - but heavy duty
SPEED requirements for a website (not talking about
download/streaming; but rather CPU power to view animation, alpha
channels, etc) - are a hard sell to a client. They're wonderful
examples of Flash, but I'd hate to see widespread use of Flash in
this way. Flash is best at delivering streaming vector slim
animations and interactivity.

I'm off on a tangent now - and sense that I'm ranting - I will shut
up now - If I became incoherent, please ignore me : )

Joe

Joe Crawford > ArtLung = Artist + Respiratory Therapist <