Subject: Re: 3D objects in FLash
From: Joshua Ulm
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 22:26:59 +0100

>I have just subscribed to the list today, actually am fairly new to Flash.
>We are looking at this site http://www.matinee.co.uk going wow! how'd
>they do that. I wondered if anyone out there could shed some light on the
>subject of using 3-d objects in flash. 3D Studio max stuff preferrably. (or
>point to a good resource)
>
>We have played around with using adobe dimensions exporting a sequence of
>illustrator files with some success but the quality isn't that great. Check
>out this site and see what you all think. 3D animations are pretty nice.
>How'd they do that?

isn't it possible that all the 3d stuff for these isn't done in flash at
all? esp. since flash works great with importing bitmaps. look at
<http://www.theremediproject.com>. that butterfly ain't real folks. it
was rendered in InfiniD, exported as a series of butmaps and imported
into flash. then just align them into a symbol as a movie. its that
simple. keep the dimensions small, (like they do on the matinee site) and
it will run fast. zippy even!!

designers!! stop thinking application specific design. just because you
do a flash site, doesn't mean it has to or even should begin there. like
the man says, "think outside the box."

j.

( josh ulm )

e1. joshatulms [dot] com