Subject: Re: FLASH: OT: Print Shortcut on a Mac
From: Russell E. Unger
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 01:39:26 +0100

Howdy...and shut it up already! ;-)

>> In most instances, you can substitute the apple key for the ctrl-key.
>
>No no no no no. Bad Russell. Paddle paddle. The "Apple" key does not
>exist on all Mac keyboards. The "Command" key does (sometimes I refer to
>it as a cloverleaf).

I'm not disagreeing with you Mighty Warren, what I was doing was breaking
the term down into lay-terms for the person. I'm fully aware it's the
"Command" key, indeed!

>The open-apple is a legacy of the days when Macs and IIGS's could
>exchange keyboards; the IIGS, of course, used the apple, while the Mac
>used the cloverleaf. (Both Macs and IIGS machines used the same kind of
>keyboard connector.)

We called 'em Open-Apple and Closed-Apple. Back in the day when the Apple
IIe was a common tool in our High School and the Indiana Jones game on a
green monochrome monitor was the cool (kewl?) tool of choice.

>However in the Mac world it has *always* been called the Command key. As
>an old Mac coder it used to drive me *nuts* when someone referred to
>that key as the "open apple" key. Still does, obviously. :)

Hey, it still drives me nuts when you "Howdy" everyone on Direct-L and no
Flasher!

Not disputing you, just throwing a dead fish in your face. My life is hell,
and you're a fun target!

Russ