Subject: FLASH: [OT] Napster and Macster opinions among the Flasher Group
From: Wayne Townsend
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 21:23:12 +0100

Hey group!

If you even care to join in,

What are your opinions about the Napster, Macster trend, and raging
debate in all the major newspapers, radio & TV?

Is it [OT] sure/ not so sure,
but it's not OT really when you consider that Flashers are in the
forefront on web design and there are many debates that go on here
regarding artist copyright issues and distribution.

We all know the Record Industry opposing view, but

One carefully considered opinion in favor of Napster/ Macster, is this:

"It goes beyond the music industry. Just as the web gave many
mainstream people a *reason* to even own a computer, and has pushed
computer sales (and the developer audience) *way* beyond
expectations from a few years ago, ie. many people today buy a
computer just to get onto the web, Napster does the same thing in
regard to people getting high-bandwidth connections. Music is a
great, great carrot for people to get high-speed (DSL) connections.
Mainstream high-bandwidth connection will make a huge difference in
what media providers like Flashers can do, and presumably benefit
everybody. All this goes *way* beyond the music industry."

Sooo, is music the trigger for high speed bandwidth adoption by the
masses which benefits all, including both providers and consumers?
Or is this all just a huge ripoff of artists?

I can assure you that both Music Industry & Web Industry guys are
listening to the opinions from this list, the most important list on
the web. I posted this because I was asked to.

So now's your chance as developers and talent to make your opinion heard.

Do it, these notes will be submitted to congress.

Pls, no BS, just real opinions, by real artists.

/w

flasher is generously supported by...
shockwave.com and Electric Rain.
1.877.4.FLASH.4 or (1.805.640.6679 outside the US and Canada)
Register before June 30 and save $200!!-- www.flashforward2000.com