Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash 5 & JavaScript
From: John Dowdell
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 21:56:48 +0100

At 11:40 AM 7/25/0, Rob Adams wrote:
> That's not how I read the Flash 5 news release at all. They
> said that actionscript now follows the _syntax and structure_
> of Javascript, seemingly in an attempt to make Flash scripting
> immediately intuitive and accessible for folks who know JS.
> I don't think Flash 5 relies on JavaScript whatsoever.

That's true. Although the Dreamweaver and Fireworks authoring tools have a
licensed JavaScript interpreter within them (to read History items as
Commands, for instance), the tiny Flash Player has a small ActionScript
engine within it. This follows the style of JavaScript as much as possible,
but is not an actual licensed JavaScript interpreter.

(A different path might be to call out to the browser's licensed JavaScript
interpreter, but you already know how these differ among browsers, and we'd
be hosed when going to a non-desktop device like a handheld. The tiny
ActionScript engine is optimized for size, and many functions were added in
this Flash 5 release.)

The goal in the shop was to let you leverage your existing JavaScript
knowledge, so the methods and appearance are as similar as possible. The
interpreter for these commands is a bit different, in order to fit inside
the small Macromedia Flash Player.

interactivity in the SWF bytecode is processed by the ActionScript engine
inside the Macromedia Flash 5 Player.

jd

flasher is generously supported by...
shockwave.com and Electric Rain.
1.877.4.FLASH.4 or (1.805.640.6679 outside the US and Canada)
Register before June 30 and save $200!!-- www.flashforward2000.com