Subject: Re: FLASH: Shockwave 3D (was: Max, Strata)
From: John Dowdell
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 01:40:32 +0100

At 2:23 PM 7/25/0, Wayne Townsend wrote:
> They have a long, long way to go to even resemble Pulse3D

Pulse3D is a nice engine, and I'm glad it's doing the job for some of your
sites.

It's dedicated to a different task, however... if you'll examine its
output, it's generally single talking heads.

The Intel drop-in renderer to the Shockwave Player makes a castmember of a
view into a world. This world can have multiple objects, all
controllable... the camera can be navigated too... individual object
properties and even shapes can be altered in realtime under scripting
control.

(How complex a world? The multi-res surfaces means that level-of-detail
drops as an object moves away from the camera... the complexity of an
individual object can vary with the current rendering demands. There's
still an upper limit on how complex a single world can be, but the limits
are much more elastic than in fixed-res models.)

The host and interactivity are significant too... where the Pulse3D Player
uses browser JavaScript (with its browser dependencies, similar to
FSCommand), the Shockwave Player contains its own compiled scripting, very
fast, very extensive. Interactivity is more predictable than when relying
on the browsers.

Although they're both described by words like "web" and "3D", I think
you'll find they offer different possibilities. It's similar to how SWF and
PDF can both be described by "web" and "vectors", yet they offer different
things.

At 2:13 PM 7/25/0, Naqvi, Tony wrote:
> While the figures for Shockwave installed web users is big,
> it's not anywhere near that of the installed-base of Flash.

Don't bother waiting for a realtime 3D renderer in the small Flash Player.
If it *could* do that, then it wouldn't be the "small" Flash Player
anymore, and would not have that massive distribution.

Realtime 3D rendering is different than using 2D sprite techniques upon
prerendered 3D content... more info's in my last message.

And don't pooh-pooh Shockwave's distribution, just because it isn't as
overwhelming as Flash's... it's still among the top five web technologies,
with majority installation. The key concept is the auto-updating which
makes the new renderer very quickly available.

For desktop computers we've finally on the verge of having a
*fully-deployed* standardized renderer... this is very exciting.

jd

flasher is generously supported by...
shockwave.com and Electric Rain.
1.877.4.FLASH.4 or (1.805.640.6679 outside the US and Canada)
Register before June 30 and save $200!!-- www.flashforward2000.com