Subject: Probably in some FAQ
From: Dave Trautman
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 20:26:14 GMT

My graphic artist is currently attempting his first FLASH so this should come as no surprise to anyone who has real world experiences.

He's got this MAP. It's a PICT but it could be anything. He makes a bitmap of it and IMPORTS it to FLASH. He takes the LIBRARY image and puts it on the stage. All of this follows pages 66 and 67 of the manual. Then he made an overlay of territories and rivers and coast lines using FreeHand and he tried to copy and paste it over the MAP background using a second layer. In a different attempt he exported the FreeHand lines as a FLASH file and was able to bring it into FLASH just as he did with copy and paste. In the FLASH contruction environment everything lines up and looks great.

When wanting to PLAY the movie he EXPORTS the two-layer image as a '.swf' and tries to view it with the FLASH player. The result is a blank white screen. File size indicates something must be inside that '.swf' but various efforts to arrange the elements fail him.

As he said before asking me to address the group about it, "This is the first Mac software I've used (in his many years as an illustrator) which didn't do what I expected." In all other respects he had had no trouble understanding how to work FLASH.

Can anyone enlighten him (and myself) about what we are missing here?

Cheers,
Dave Trautman
Web Stylist for ATL
University of Alberta

In the electric age we wear all mankind as our skin."
� Marshall McLuhan