Subject: Re: Unilever pull out of using Flash after paying for a Flashed Web site
From: chris thorpe
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 15:27:13 GMT

Hi all

on The Net on BBC2 last night, here is the slightly more full picture..

The original Unilever In:Site intranet which we developed used Flash and
JavaScript heavily and was built for Netscape3 only. After a trial period
we found out that there were problems with reaching some portions of the
network with streaming media, and the decision was made to recreate the
intranet so that Flash areas were optional, they haven't been removed, you
simply elect whether or not to use them. CHOICE a vital part of electronic
communities, the ability to decide what is most suitable for your needs and
connection.

Unfortunately the short sound bite on television and e-mail conversations
with friends have led to only partial stories getting out... Unilever and
NoHo are still committed to Flash, we have simply been going through a
process of deciding what in life is most important within the constraints
of bandwidth, whether it is better to have an intensely televisual
interface, or better information design and content that people can see
swiftly and without fear of exclusion due to network latency, machine or
browser standards, or even levels of technical competence in installing
software.

We chose content, like any sane sensible group of developers who are
interested in developing information systems for our clients. I think Flash
is wonderful, but it must be used judiciously yet in situations where the
information is mission critical rather than the aesthetics of the
interface, and clearly information is what an Intranet is about, then it
may need to be sacrificed in order that the clients needs are carried out....

after all that's what design is, providing an elegant and most suitable
solution to fit with the needs of the client.

NoHo is still a committed Flash developer, Unilever is still a committed
Flash customer, I am still a committed Flash user, and I'm just off to
strangle people who misquote me and blow things out of proportion by only
giving a half-story for journalistic reasons. If ever anyone asks you to be
in a fly-on the wall documentary, tell them to f~*k right off, all they'll
do is make you look fat on camera and tell half truths about situations,
leading to embarassing moments like this on an open mailing list where you
know that representatives of your client are present

best wishes all

chris

chris thorpe

senior creative (advertising)