Subject: Re: Flash in a 1.54Mbps world?
From: Sean Cohen
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 00:17:17 GMT

Flash and Director ARE different beasts. Fireworks is the excellent example,
however, of a world in which vector and raster needn't be enemies.

Director's dependance on raster cripples it in many ways, but there are many
simple graphics/animation features in director that flash could benefit
from. (neglecting the entire lingo issue) Transparencies, ink effects,
transitions, various frame rates, shockwave audio, database connectivity,
etc.

Rather than ask those poor overworked macromedia folks to put this type of
functionality in flash, I think it is was good idea to see the flash asset
xtra make an appearance in director. This type of merger is entirely
preferable to my mind. What flash lacks, director can give. What director
lacks (in terms of image fidelity, beautiful tweens and fine color control,
as well as excellent vector based typography) flash can give. Certainly file
size is an issue in all of this, but the real focus of any merger between the
two will be cross-fertilized functionality.

-sean