Subject: Re: FLASH: FW: List Management Issues, please read
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 19:29:01 GMT

At 08:16 AM 3/10/00 , you wrote:
> 1. Let's use subject lines well.
> Hey could we _please_ start using reliable subjects....
>
> 2. Restrict reposting stuff we've already read.
> Just trim down the thing you're responding to its essential...
> Thanks much, I'm not trying to be a wet blanket

Hi Gahlord,

Nothing wet-blanket about your post at all. What IS a wet blanket is a post
that copies the entire digest, or one that has the wrong subject, or one
that says "site check" without including the URL or site name in the
subject. By the way, I now trash all unidentified "site check" messages
without reading them; I just don't have time to open every message to see
if it's relevant or if it's been replied to.

On the other hand, I do look at posts with meaningful subject headers if I
think I might be able to help, or if the topic is one I want to learn
about. If I think someone else will probably do a better answering job than
I will, I keep the message a few days to make sure it gets responded to. If
no one replies, I might send my own less-than-perfect reply.

I also want to add some requests:

1) Please make sure your reply is going to add value to the thread. If you
just want to say "thanks" to one or two people, send it off-list. Sure,
courtesy is nice, but it's also courteous to spare the list of those
replies. Same goes for "me too" messages (requests for files, or just
adding your vote to someone's opinion).

2) If you have a file to share, put it on a server somewhere and send the
URL to the list rather than just offering to send it to folks. It will help
reduce the number of "me too" messages.

3) Newbie questions are, I feel, an important part of this list, and I
don't want to discourage them. But please do look through the user's manual
index, or Macromedia's Tech Notes, or one of the many other online
resources, before posting to the list, especially if you're quite new to Flash.

4) If your Flash movie is not working correctly, try to provide as much
relevant information as possible. Does it fail in Test Movie? On a Web
server? What actions are you using (quote them exactly or we have very
little to go on)? Post a URL whenever possible. Be specific about the
effect you want to achieve.

5) If your need is urgent, say so in the subject, but remember this is all
volunteer advice and you cannot expect an answer in a particular time
frame. Wait a couple of days before re-posting. If you really need help
right away, try the list, but be prepared to call Tech Support or hire a
pro if you don't get a response soon enough.

In short, think about the time people are going to spend reading and
thinking about and replying to your post, and then do what you reasonably
can to help them use that time efficiently. If it helps, think about it as
if you were paying for other people's time by the minute. Then be glad you
aren't.

thanks.

Marc Hoffman

Poison Dart Frog Media: Specializing in Flash Animation and Digital Audio
Production
Our latest Flash job is on display at <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/rickfrnd>
See our Flash portfolio at <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/portfolio>
(featured in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn)

flasher is generously supported by...