Subject: FLASH: Volunteers Wanted; Newbies and Lurkers Especially Welcome!
From: unique
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 06:41:07 GMT

OK; time for some giving back?!

I, and one or two Flash friends, including one of my current favorite
Flash heroes (in the gender-neutral sense of the term), have been
conversing about the ActionScript "Dilemma" that some (*many*?) of
you seem to be experiencing.

We're pretty sure that we can help, but we're not quite sure *how* to
go about it.

So, at this point in our venture, we need *just a very few*
volunteers -- about 5 (3-8).

No rigid standards, but some of my thoughts so far are:

Ideally, you feel a strong need, for whatever reason, to get a handle
on ActionScript, *and*, you honestly feel that, even if you owned all
of the current Flash books, and had easy access to all of the helpful
ActionScript info "out there on the Web", you *still* feel kinda
swamped ... not clear about "where to start" with all of this --
which, indeed, *can* get into some significantly deep territory.

You're looking for a good place to start.

In other words, I'm looking for a few folks who have a strong desire
to "get moving", and who acknowledge that they're pretty much
starting at Ground Zero, ActionScript-wise.

*Keen* interest appears to be more valuable that fundamental IQ.

Just two more suggested pre-qualifications: (1) ya oughta be willing
to learn how to think in "different" ways, and willing to provide
*feedback* about how the experiment is going for you; and, (2) I
fully expect that full participation in "Phase Two" (within a month,
or two at the most, hopefully) *will* necessitate being able to
afford the purchase of just *one* particular Flash book (if you don't
already own it), at a total cost of around $40. But that would be
Phase Two of the experiment, and, how soon we get to that phase
depends upon the needs of the folks participating.

Bottom line: If ya can afford to stick a dollar bill into a jar every
day for a month or two, you'll be golden for Phase Two, too.

For now, this is about working out the best way to teach ActionScript
Mastery (relatively speaking) to folks who are starting out Totally
Green.

All responses genuinely appreciated, especially including
inspirations from those with "some" ActionScript experience.

Please consciously decide whether your response is better sent to
this list, or to me personally. I'll trust your judgment! ... well,
"almost" totally: if you simply wish to tell me about yourself and to
volunteer to participate, that kind of response should be OFFLIST
ONLY. Thanks.

LURKERS TAKE SPECIAL NOTE: I especially want *you* to participate;
you merely need to just email me privately. Thanks.

TIA and HTH,

Ken Sherwood
uniqueatptd [dot] net

--

"Adobe, who has deeper pockets than Macromedia, has announced a Flash
competitor. Will Macromedia survive?"

-- hwg-theory list contributor, 2000.02.12

flasher is generously supported by...