Subject: Re: FLASH: Snap to drag
From: Cheri Harder
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 08:50:14 +0100

Let me think about that second question for a bit, I don't want to just
"give you the answer" I want to make it understandable, and somehow, after 2
1/2 "country clubs" (malt liquor) I'm not so sure I would tell you
correctly.

But the first part is important for you to know and understand, in order for
you to figure out the rest of the stuff, so I'll give it a go.

The button you create...that resides in the library...is just more or less
the graphical representation of the button, along with the inherent
properties and events associated with "a button"...that is, the "capability
to do things that only a button can do." However, aside from sound events
handled within the definition of the button itself, the remaining events, or
actions, are initiated by mouse events on "instances" of the button. (I'm
trying to relate this to VB or some other kind of object oriented
programming, but not sure if I'm succeeding.) Anyway, when you pull a
"copy" of a button out of the library onto the stage, you are creating an
instance of that button object. This particular instance inherits all the
properties of a "button" object, that is it has particular states (over, up,
down, hit) and can "do actions"; and it inherits all the properties of the
"specific" button object you pulled out, that is, the specific graphics and
sounds of the different states of that button. However, the particular
"events" that this button can trigger are unique to that instance of the
button. You double-click on a button you have placed on the stage & you
will get an "actions" tab unique to that instance. You can put whatever
"tell target" or "set variable" or "set property" you want to for THAT
INSTANCE of the button to do.

Wow, I should be a teacher when I'm inebriated. Or else I just 'think" I'm
good when I'm inebriated. LOL. Anyway, I will quit while I'm ahead, and
you can remind me tomorrow that I never answered your first question.

Since this is the weekend, and the list is slow, I will send copy to the
list just in case this actually makes sense and maybe is helpful to someone.
Helen, you can add this to the database if you think it's informative, but
please leave out the "drunk" part. Thanks! <grin>

~~~~Cheri Harder~~~~~
charderatawsolution [dot] com
Advantage Web Solution
www.awsolution.com