Subject: Re: FLASH: Here is me two cents regarding, hit areas for buttons
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 19:56:39 +0100

At 02:22 PM 5/7/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi Robi,
>
>> I take button making one step further then what John mentions below by
>> after deleting the border, I make the fill a symbol entitled "hit".
>> Then I reuse this hit symbol for all my buttons be resizing the symbol
>> appropriately. It pays of in file size if there are a significant
>> number of buttons with basically the same hit shape.
>This is a good tip with one small note. If the hit area is a simple
>rectangle it is cheaper just to drw a new rectangle, but this is a good
>idea for most any other shape that is more complex including simple
>ovals and circles.

While we're on the topic, my method is to draw a rectangle around the
active area (using onion skinning to see where I'm covering). Then with
the arrow tool I pull the corners where I need them, pull the sides into
whatever curves I need, and add points (ctrl-drag) if necessary. Fill it
in and delete the outline. Quick and simple. So, John, if I use only four
vertices and some curves, is that cheaper than reusing a symbol?

Marc Hoffman