Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash 4
From: John Dowdell
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 00:08:48 +0100

At 8:24 AM 5/7/99, Rick Koch wrote:
> OK. I'm ready to take the plunge and buy Flash. I just wanna check
> on when 4 maybe coming out. My luck, I'll buy 3 and 4 will pop
> shortly after. Anyone know when?

Your best resource for breaking news is the Macromedia website.
Announcements definitely go there first.

Development on a new version usually starts right after the previous
version hits the shelves... software development is a continuous process.
The development cycles vary for each project, though, and dates can't be
predicted until a version passes all acceptance tests. It's hard to predict
dates.

Those designers who are part of the beta process sign non-disclosure
agreements. These are taken quite seriously.

Product announcements are usually timed to significant industry events.
You'll rarely see a major announcement on a Friday afternoon, for instance,
but the first day of Seybold or Comdex usually has a spate of
announcements. There are often more options visible after such a major
event.

Note that you can use Flash for realworld work today... the website has a
30-day fully-functional evaluation version. This can give you an additional
window in which to consider options.

jd