Subject: Re: FLASH: fading background
From: Russell E. Unger
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 19:00:18 +0100

I'm not a genious at the TT's, either, but I've picked them up and it has made a
lot of things really clear to me. DartFrog-boy's probably our resident genious,
and Kevin Jackson is probably his biggest cheerleader, but, here goes:

Create a Movie Clip (MC)
Within the movie clip place a square, and let's say that it is a square, for our
purposes here.
Then, using your Inspector, alter the size to match your Main Movie
Make it the color of your choice and place an action of Stop in the MC timeline.

Now, here's one thing you can do:

You can create a tween (in the MC) that goes from start color to another color and
give it a label of "Change" for this example. Also, give a STOP action at the last
frame of this tween.

Place this movie clip on your Main Movie, and as your bottom-most layer. Go to
Definition and name the instance "background".

>From some other point, and just for grins and giggles, make a quickie little
button.
Under Action, select "Tell Target". Flash does the "onRelease" stuff for you (how
nice!). Then, select the Movie Clip and instance stuff (it should be relatively
obvious). Tell your next action to be "Go To" select the Play box and select the
Label of "Change". The label won't be there for you b/c it's in the MC, not the
Main Movie.

This will cause your movie clip to play and change background colors, I believe.

Marc, could you double-check this and see if I missed anything? This is all from
my own thought-process as opposed to working through it...

But, wait, there's more!

> How can you modify the main movie's properties from withn this action? I know
> you can make a movie clip play or stop, or go to certain frame,.. but how do
> you modify other symbols or the movie?

You won't be modifying the main movie's properties; and I do not believe you can
actually do that on the fly. I hope I've covered this clearly for you, but knowing
me, I somewhat doubt it!

Best of luck,

Russ