Subject: Re: FLASH: fading background
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 20:03:05 +0100

At 12:41 PM 5/28/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Create a Movie Clip (MC)
>Within the movie clip place a square, and let's say that it is a square, for
>our
>purposes here.
>Then, using your Inspector, alter the size to match your Main Movie

Align is handy for this, too: Ctrl+K, then choose the two centering icons
and the match size that has a four-way arrow, then check the box for match
to page. This will make any symbol expand to fill the stage.

>Make it the color of your choice and place an action of Stop in the MC
>timeline.
>Now, here's one thing you can do:
>You can create a tween (in the MC) that goes from start color to another
>color and
>give it a label of "Change" for this example. Also, give a STOP action at
>the last
>frame of this tween.
>
>Place this movie clip on your Main Movie, and as your bottom-most layer.
Go to
>Definition and name the instance "background".
>
>>From some other point, and just for grins and giggles, make a quickie little
>button.
>Under Action, select "Tell Target". Flash does the "onRelease" stuff for
>you (how
>nice!). Then, select the Movie Clip and instance stuff (it should be
>relatively
>obvious). Tell your next action to be "Go To" select the Play box and
>select the
>Label of "Change". The label won't be there for you b/c it's in the MC, not
>the
>Main Movie.
>
>This will cause your movie clip to play and change background colors, I
>believe.
>
>Marc, could you double-check this and see if I missed anything?

Good job, Russ! :-)

>> How can you modify the main movie's properties from withn this action?

Russ's scheme is good for modifying other symbols. To modify the real
movie background or frame rate, you must load a new movie with those
settings into level0. Load movie is great, but you may not want to venture
there just yet. Try to become familiar with TellTarget first.

Marc Hoffman

marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com (mailto:marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com)
Flash3 Portfolio: <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler>, featured
in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn.