Subject: RE: FLASH: ANN: Generator 2, new versions
From: John Dowdell
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 00:05:47 +0100

At 3:28 PM 5/22/0, .redstar. wrote:
> Could you comment on the following as I can't seem to understand it :

I risk hitting the wrong angle here, but I trust you'll forgive me in
advance if I err.... ;-)

There are a few different ways to approach this type of work:

-- Anyone can download the free time-limited trial. You can make Flash
templates and do test-serves in realtime, but these freebies are
watermarked so it's not suitable for commercial work.

-- If you're mainly seeking to automate your Flash work and do light
sites, then the new Developers Edition has essentially cut the price of the
older Generator package, and added some new features besides. The online
graphics server makes graphics one at a time, so it won't scale up
indefinitely... the graphics-per-second varies with your content, but
usually tops out in the 6-8 files-per-second range, from what I understand

-- If you've got a big paying site, then the new Enterprise Edition
handles this... it has multiple levels of caching and can create multiple
customized graphics simultaneously. If your site is delivering thousands or
millions of customized graphics daily, then the Generator Enterprise
Edition can handle the load.

-- For people falling in between, there will also be hosting services
rolled out soon... these aren't locked down yet, but if your delivery
volume is between the low-priced Developers Edition and the high-priced
Enterprise Edition, then there will still be a way to satisfy that client.

Rephrased: Many who used Macromedia Generator needed even higher-volume
delivery. But many people wanted to use Generator, even if only for
automation and offline generation. The solution was to break it into two
products: a high-performance high-volume Enterprise Edition, and a flexible
and much less expensive Developer Edition.

Is this close to what you were seeking, or was I offbase in some way...?

jd

flasher is generously supported by...
World Animation Celebration - Big Internet Animation Pow Wow Discount Offer

Register before May 25 mention flasher and save 25%!! www.wacfest.com

Be discovered, get a job or have your web series picked up. A big talent search for Shockwave
and Flash animators is happening May 30-June 4 in Hollywood. Featuring Rob Burgess, Matt
Groening, Brad Bird and more. www.wacfest.com