Subject: RE: FLASH: ANN: Generator 2, new versions
From: .redstar.
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 01:33:56 +0100

John,

Thanks for the explanation, perhaps you could suggest that the Generator
team revise the text that is currently online as it will clearly induce in
error.
I know the dust might still be settling on other pages but after all the
detail that is given in the performance test another area that could be more
informative is the pricing structure for the 'GrownUp' Edition of Generator.
Just saying it start's at xxxUSD and giving an email address isn't much
info.
Anyway if the developer edition doesn't watermark the produced files then it
is a good deal.
For those that might be considering if it's worth the price some simple math
:
The available docs on this product say that it only generates one graphic at
a time, OK.
>From the FigLeaf study we can obtain an overestimate of 2 seconds to produce
a complex database dependent graphic on a 1 processor 128Mb machine. This
boils down to the fact that under these conditions the developer edition can
produce in the range of 1800 graphics per hour. So we need to know how many
users this solution can accommodate without degrading too much. If every
request to the server triggers a Generator request (worst case scenario) and
each user views each page for 30 seconds on average, then we have 120 page
requests per user/hour.
Gathering all this info tells us that a site with an expected value of 20
users per hour should, with 95% confidence level, start showing some signs
of degradation.
Relaxing the conditions a bit and adapting to real world conditions I think
we can have this edition serving content for a group of medium sized sites
with an expected average 'Generator' page request of around 2400 per hour.
For those that still remember poison distributions you'll see that this
value is quite good, just check the probability for 4800 page requests per
hour, a value that would choke the server.

Conclusion :
Not to bad for the price, not bad at all.

.redstar.

flasher is generously supported by...
World Animation Celebration - Big Internet Animation Pow Wow Discount Offer

Register before May 25 mention flasher and save 25%!! www.wacfest.com

Be discovered, get a job or have your web series picked up. A big talent search for Shockwave
and Flash animators is happening May 30-June 4 in Hollywood. Featuring Rob Burgess, Matt
Groening, Brad Bird and more. www.wacfest.com