Subject: RE: FLASH: How'd they do that? (loading...)
From: Andrew Timberlake
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 03:24:58 +0000 (GMT)

>Ok, I've checked out the sample "If Frame Loaded" movie and I understand
>how that works, but what I don't understand is how people set up progress
>bars for loading scenes. Are they loading the graphics into invisible
>frames so that they are preloaded when you want to display them? Or is
>there some kind of "percent loaded" function that I'm unaware of?

Simulating a loading bar is done by putting labels at strategic points along
the timeline.
If Frame is Loaded is then used to reference each of the labels and as they
are loaded, so the load bar advances on notch.

This is a clever looking technique but should only be put in as a
precautionary measure. Flash is designed to stream and it is not difficult
to amuse the user with text or an animation of relevance (of a small file
size) while the content loads and then only as long as is absolutely
necessary.
Far too many Flash designers are overlooking this incredibly important
feature of Flash. - That's why MM didn't create a built in load bar
function, it's not necessary ;-)

@ndrew