Subject: Re: FLASH: Mime type
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 03:53:50 +0000 (GMT)

At 07:45 PM 11/1/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Again, please forgive my ignorance folks. What is Mime type? What does it
effect? How can I optimize my files by setting the Mime type?

>Check out this url: <http://www.lostgen.com>http://www.lostgen.com
>Rusty Worden

Hi, Rusty.

The MIME is set by your web server administrator, not by anything in your
Flash files. It tells visitors' browsers what type of content is being
sent over the internet. It's not hard for the administrator to do, it just
requires adding a line of code to their server software. But they may want
to do it at a time when they're doing routine maintenance to the system,
and if they're really shy about altering systems they may not want to do it
at all. In which case you need another server.

Take a look at:
http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/ts/documents/mimetype_check.htm
to learn how to see if the correct MIME type has been set on your server.
That part is incredibly simple to do, and just requires viewing "Page Info"
under Netscape.

Marc Hoffman

View my Flash3 work: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog/sampler>.
Play a virtual marimba: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog>.
Find out where my band performs: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog/littlebird>.
Complain about self-promoting email signatures:
<marchofatjps [dot] net (subject: complaint) (mailto:marchofatjps [dot] net?subject=complaint)>