Subject: Re: FLASH: Mime type
From: John Croteau
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 05:00:24 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Branden, Rusty and all

>> I am aware that the MIME type may not be
>> set correctly on the server that my personal page is hosted on, however,
>> I have no real control over that unfortunately.
Your are correct that the MIME is not set on your server but though you
may not be able to set the MIME yourself you can check it yourself,
request the Webmaster to see that it is added (it's a 5 minute job) or
host your site at a server where the MIME is set for Flash.

> What is Mime type? What does it effect?
MIME is the mechanism used in Email and on HTTP servers to transmit the
various file formats correctly across the Web. The MIME setting on the
server is used by all browsers except MSIE 3/4 on Win 95/98/NT.

> How can I optimize my files by setting the Mime type?
By seeing that the MIME is set correctly, your viewers won't get
corrupted files or symptoms such as no viewable Flash, unneeded popup
boxes, and browsers that crash. I have descibed this in detail under
'Server Mime Setup is Required' at
http://www.FlashCentral.com/Tech/Index.htm#Server. There are also Test
files and details on checking and setting the MIME.

One note on the crashing of browsers caused by the MIME not being set is
that the crashing may occur when you go to a Flash site, while viewing
or leaving the site or even later when visiting another site.

Need a PC ? -- Computer King --
http://www.crownmall.com/computers/