Subject: Re: FLASH: newbie ? - creation of HTML for flash content
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 16:35:08 +0000 (GMT)

At 10:01 AM 11/12/98 -0500, you wrote:
>My project is to make a web site using Flash. The only experience
>I have publishing web sites is using Microsoft FrontPage 98 -
>I've always created my site using FrontPage and published to the
>web using FrontPage Server Extensions so it was pretty easy. As a
>result, I don't know how to create a Flash web site set up
>correctly to upload to my web hosting service.

Hi Sarah.

You just need to make sure the .swf files are in the same directory on the
server as the HTML file, and it should find them fine (use the Aftershock
to add the correct code to a pre-existing HTML page, or to create a new
HTML page). The other issue to be aware of is that the MIME type must be
set by the web server's administrator. See
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~victemsofdeath/the/mime.htm for an entertaining
explaination of this. MIME is necessary for viewing Flash in Netscape and
older IE browsers.

>I understand that Aftershock can create an HTML page of your
>flash movie. But I am confused about when you have several .swf
>movies used together with Load Movie actions.

This is a function of the Flash movie, not your HTML. By default, when
instructed to load additional movies, the movie will look for the
additional movie(s) in the same server directory where the movie resides.
So just upload the additional .swf's to the same place on your server.

>I also would like to have an enter page where, if people will see
>a Flash animation they can click on enter button, if not then
>they can download the plugin. I don't know JavaScript. Do I need
>to?

You will see such a page on many Flash sites. Use View Source to see how
it's done. My page at http://www.jps.net/dartfrog is an example. You can
cut and paste the code. You don't need to know JavaScript. Additionally,
if you look around (try FlashCentral for a start) you will find
ready-to-use Javascript that checks the user's browser and does various
things based on whether or not they have the ability to play Flash.

Marc Hoffman

View my Flash3 work: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog/sampler>.
Play a virtual marimba: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog>.
Find out where my band performs: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog/littlebird>.
Complain about self-promoting email signatures:
<marchofatjps [dot] net (subject: complaint) (mailto:marchofatjps [dot] net?subject=complaint)>