Subject: Re: RE: FLASH: Semi off topic Javascript question...
From: Colin Moock
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 19:38:26 +0000 (GMT)

flasheratshocker [dot] com,Internet writes:
>Colin,
>Thanks a lot for the reply... I really appreciate it since I am a JS
>novice trying to get this thing done... Which of the two methods do you
>reccommend for doing the passing of information from one form another?
>I am trying to make an online purchase form that after you click the
>submit button... the information comes up on the next screen for
>verification before final submittal for purchase... I have seen it done
>on other online purchase sites, but I can't figure out how to get it
>done quickly and easily....

Acutally, in the case that the information is sensitive, I'd probably
do what you're trying to do with a server side script. Why? Because
users can turn off both JavaScript and cookies, so you can't guarantee
that your system would work. If you use a server-side script you can.
The client would send the request to the script, which would do
whatever you want it to with the data (eg. verification), then the
script would generate the next page with the values filled in and send
it back to the client.

If that's not an option for you, I guess I'd opt for the frames
approach simply because in that case you only require JavaScript of the
user, whereas in the cookies case you require both JavaScript *and*
cookies. If you use the frames, you can document.write a page to the
hidden frame which has <INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" VALUE="yourvar"> elements
in a form which you could then retrieve from the second page. Of
course, if the information has to live through independent browsing
sessions you'd have to use cookies.

-colin