Subject: Re: FLASH: New Site please review (Marc)
From: John Croteau
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 18:57:39 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Rusty,

> I appreciate your honest feedback. So tell me...since I am not an
> illustrator, I don't relly know these things, how could we get the
> animation that we have, with the detail that we have, in vector format?
> That seems to be their biggest problem with going to Vector. They think
> they'll have to hand trace 400 pictures in order to get what they want
> out of it.
First, as I said before converting to vectors would reduce you file size
by about 5 to 10 times.
You are in a unique position because you should have access to technical
diagrams from engineering that will provide you with the outline
information of all your equipment. This can be exported in a 2D format
that can be imported into Flash. Surfaces and Labeling should be added
in Flash as needed. Your previous statement that you needed to do this
animation with bitmaps because you needed the detail is incorrect. A
vector representation not only would be clearer it would be scalable and
allow more and clearer details especially in the areas of interest and
allow easy zooming capability. Most vector elements created in one
presentation could be reused with other models. Most of your models will
have the same type of switches, connections and trim, just in different
places.

Since many of your users are likely to be using FlashJava because they
are on Unix boxes this is especially important.
Your presentations are not all that difficult (easy actually) and if
your in house personnel are unable or unwilling to create vector
versions, I seriously suggest you outsource the project.

>>I know that I use bitmap images. I have to. That decision is not in my
>>hands so, when you review it please do not respond about that. It will
>> be falling on ears that can't make the hands move.
> >>http://www.cisco.com/mm/quickstart/8540/iqs8540-Lv0.htm

Need a PC ? -- Computer King --
http://www.crownmall.com/computers/