Subject: Re: FLASH: New Site please review (Marc)
From: Rusty Worden
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 16:45:39 +0000 (GMT)

I appreciate your honest feedback. So tell me...since I am not an illustrator, I don't relly know these things, how could we get the animation that we have, with the detail that we have, in vector format? That seems to be their biggest problem with going to Vector. They think they'll have to hand trace 400 pictures in order to get what they want out of it.

At 05:22 PM 11/13/98 -0800, you wrote:

>>I know that I use bitmap images. I have to. That decision is not in my
>hands so, when you review it please do not respond about that. It will be
>falling on ears that can't make the hands move. Anyway...I really look
>forward to hearing everyones feedback on this one.
>>
>>http://www.cisco.com/mm/quickstart/8540/iqs8540-Lv0.htm
>>
>>Rusty Worden
>
>Hi, Rusty.
>
>I'm glad you've gotten the basic navigation to work on this one. I can
>relate to the nailbiting, and also to the imposition of unrealistic
>limitations from others on the production (such as heavy use of bitmaps).
>Puts me in a funny position, however, because it's hard to watch this piece
>over a 33.6 modem, it's just sooo slow. I believe even with the bitmaps it
>should move faster, and you can look for ways to make transitions quicker,
>maybe reduce the number of steps, too. I can't imagine actually using this
>to guide me through an installation; I'm the type of person who reads the
>instructions after all else fails, and I wouldn't wait as long as required
>to see four figures tip a machine onto its side. If it were running off a
>CD it might be a different story. But I suspect you have some extra-long
>transitions you could trim, and by all means keep working on whoever it is
>to convert those bitmaps to little vector drawings (it would be so easy!).
>Also perhaps there's more that could be happening while things are loading.
> The preload animation is interesting, but only for a few seconds, and
>certainly not the second and third time around. You know how all those
>Windows installations have little tips and comments while stuff is being
>loaded -- that's the sort of subject-relevant content that this needs,
>after you trim the wait time as much as possible.
>
>Sorry not to be more encouraging; I know you're working hard at this and I
>see you have the ability, having accomplished so much in what is really a
>short time. Keep at it and maybe you can do a Flash project for someone
>who doesn't tie your hands behind your back :-)
>

>Marc Hoffman
>_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
>
>View my Flash3 work: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog/sampler>.
>Play a virtual marimba: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog>.
>Find out where my band performs: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog/littlebird>.
>Complain about self-promoting email signatures:
><marchofatjps [dot] net (subject: complaint) (mailto:marchofatjps [dot] net?subject=complaint)>

Check out this url: <http://www.lostgen.com>http://www.lostgen.com
Rusty Worden
Webmaster
Cisco Systems
408-527-7587

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming like the
passengers in his car.