Subject: Re: FLASH: two ways of defining movie clip?
From: John Croteau
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 15:30:12 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Yuri,

> I'm making several animations in flash but sometimes flash doesn't do what
> I want it to do.
> Problem: Creating a new symbol (selecting movie clip) and placing it on the
> 'stage' doesn't make the animation happen (not even in test movie).
> When I double click the symbol on the 'stage', I get the display "instance
> properties" which tells me that my just created movie clip is just a
> graphic ( in the behaviour part ).
I have created tens of thousands of symbols. Everytime I create a Movie
Clip its behavior is initially Movie Clip. When I create a Button its
behavior is set as a button. And a Graphic has its behavior set as
Graphic.

If however I create a symbol as a Graphic, drop an Instance onto the
stage and then go to the Library and change the Graphic to a Movie Clip
then the symbol I dropped onto the Stage will change to a Movie Clip but
its behavior will remain as Graphic. Of course you can change the
behavior in the Instance Properties as desired.

> Can somebody tell me what the
> difference is between these two options of defining a symbol.
> And do I have to select both options? (first at creation and second at
> using) Maybe this might solve the problem I'm having with several movies.
Symbols are not only reusable but their behaviour can also be changed
for an Instance. Say you have a Movie Clip and you want to use frame 5
of that Movie Clip as a still graphic. There is no need to create a new
symbol. Simply drop a new copy (Instance) of the Movie Clip where you
want it and change its Behavior to Graphic. In the Instance properties
also change First Frame: to 5 and select Single Frame:.

Need a PC ? -- Computer King --
http://www.crownmall.com/computers/