Subject: FLASH: Re: Director 7 is released
From: Rob w, Current Marketing
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 16:15:42 +0000 (GMT)

Flash and Director are two totally different animals. Macromedia is wisely integrating the two, but Director is a multimedia authoring software with its own scripting language (lingo) that calls C++ routines, whereas Flash is primarily an animation tool that uses limited interaction. From a programming standpoint, Flash is rinky-dink compared to Director. From an animating POV, Director is a hippo in a tutu compared to Flash.

D7 is integrating Flash, but not replacing Flash as a vector animation authoring tool. The plug-ins are chunks of code that enable the browser of your choice to run the shockwave files (again playback as opposed to authoring).

I doubt seriously Macromedia is going to throw away a nice fat juicy piece of pie like Flash by making it obsolete.

On Tue, Nov 17, 1998, 2:12:28 PM GMT flasher-digest wrote:

>Maybe someone could flesh this out a little bit. Director 7 was just
>released. From what I read the plug-in is already inside of the Mac OS and
>Win98. Why doesn't this make Flash obsolete? Or does it? Sure it's a
>steaper learning curve but it's (I assume) infinitely more powerful and just
>as compatible. Where am I going wrong with this?
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Al Rosetti
>http://www.websitepartners.com

****
Robert Womack
New Media Director
CurrentMarketing
v.502.589.3567
f.502.586.6448
e [dot] rob_watcurrentmarketing [dot] com