Subject: FLASH: DaVo's flash tip O' the day(#16)
From: David Gary
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 22:09:54 +0000 (GMT)

Hiya Flashers,

I think Colin's hidden frame routine is about the only way to use pop up
windows outa Flash, for the majority of browsers and I would like to thank
him for his help on the list. I would say, however, if your strictly using
swfs in your pop-up windows, then re-opening the brower really isnt
neccessary. You can use "Load movie" feature from within Flash3 for the same
technique. This does 4 things better than re-opening the browser.

1. The swf loads much quicker in "load movie" than it does in re-opened
browser.

2. You can bypass the time consumption and extra HTML work(making your HTML
simpler).

3.You can become much more creative in "window pop up- like" design.

4. You can avoid JS errors and include other browsers that support Flash.

Tip: If you have buttons on lower levels that interfer with the
"pop-up-like" routine
created in FLash, then simply create the buttons or button menu as a
MC(movie clip)
, then, in the MC, have one frame with the active buttons and a second frame
with the buttons set to "graphic" to turn off their active states. Lable the
active buttons "on"
and the "graphic behavior" buttons labeled "off". Then you can tell target
to them from
the higher level movie(pop-up-like) to turn them off and back on.

HTH,

-DG-

If any cat in here thinks this dude has given my man false information, by
all means,
speak up boy!