Subject: FLASH: Flash vs. Dir for CD-rom development?
From: David Gary
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 22:49:56 +0000 (GMT)

Hiya guys, MM,

I have a question about the performance of Flash's animations compared to the
animations' of Director. I notice alot of CD-rom developers use Dir for their
interactivity in conjuction with QT movies(.mov). I also notice that by doing
this
the Dir animations, calling up QT(quicktime) movies, play the animations much
faster
in the .mov format than say the animations imported as a sequence of images and
played with Flash3's engine. Since you cant implement AVI, MOV or any other
video format into your flash files, but only imported sequences instead, does
this mean that Flash is inadequate for CD-rom development use?
Of course CD development gives much more freedom in file size than web
development. Because of this and Flash's limited vector tools, importing image
sequence or calling upon video fomats created in more powerful animation
software
im more widely used, 3D apps, photo enhancing, etc in CD-rom production.

I guess I would like to know why Flash is such a pig on processors compared
to Dir?

I would also like to know if future versions of Flash will be able to access
.mov, avi,
mpeg, etc. formats from within the player.

I know there are developers on this list experimenting with both. Any
disscusion?
Can some of you speak of your findings?

-DG-