Subject: Re: FLASH: Re: Director 7 is released
From: John Dowdell
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 01:17:57 +0000 (GMT)

"Oops" all around... I sort this big Flasher list by topic, and the
original post got separated from its replies. I guess everybody knows
already that the two tools are different. Here's the rest of the thread....
;)

At 10:41 AM 11/17/98, jared wheeler wrote:
>Okay, so I remember how exited I got when I heard about the flash asset
>xtra. the ability to run and control flash movies inside director would be
>awesome. I also remember how dissappointed i was when i found out that it
>didn't work in shockwave unless the person viewing your page had the flash
>asset xtra. Does anyone know if you will be able to use flash movies inside
>director schockwave movies without requiring a flash asset xtra?

The Flash Asset Xtra has been included in the Shockwave download since
February of 1998. Many Shockwave sites today do use Flash files as media
elements. You'd only have to use that "Get the Xtra" button if your
audience includes older installations of Shockwave.

Note that it will take awhile for the new Shockwave 7 player to be widely
distributed, once it ships in December. Just as it takes awhile for
distribution once a new Flash player arrives, the new generation of
Shockwave players will take awhile to be distributed, too.

Sidenote: Director 7 can import SWF 3.0 files, and can also use the Flash
render engine for scripting control over individual curve elements...
changing shapes in response to the mouse, etc. Once the new players are
available, it may be fun to check some of the examples that go up.

At 1:53 PM 11/17/98, Ethan Watrall wrote:
> So here is the question...I thought you could import Flash files
> into Director 6.5...am I wrong?

Yes, you're not wrong... or no, you're right... or oh, shucks.... ;)

Yes, Director 6.5 can insert SWF 2.0 files. Director 7 can import SWF 3.0
files, too.

At 1:55 PM 11/17/98, Rick Turoczy wrote:
>This "file size" note sparked a couple of questions (forgive me if they
>are incredibly stupid, I've only dealt with Flash media) . . . do
>Director files stream? Or does the Flash file still stream within the
>Director file?

Yes, Director 6 could stream within a file. In Director 7 work has been
done to make streaming the default, rather than an additional choice.

(In previous versions of Director developers could set a site up to quickly
show a loader sequence and then stream files in to the background, but this
technique was not as widely used as it might have been.)

jd

Private email options: http://www.macromedia.com/support/priority.html
Dreamweaver owners' 2.0 sneakpeek: http://www.dreamweaver.com/