Subject: FLASH: RE: I keep finding out just how many people are still using 3.0 generation browsers.
From: Quinn Merio
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 19:06:56 +0000 (GMT)

>I keep finding out just how many people are still using 3.0 generation browsers.
Upgradeaphobiacs...
This has a lot to do with the systems they are on... You would be even more amazed to know how many of my clients are still using 286 and 386 s with win 3.1 and Mac LC 3s (some even using Netscape 1.1!)
Thing though, is that they also have 9600, 14.4 and god forbid, 2400 modems, and downloading 25MB s for a browser ("when they get by JUST FINE with what dey got") is like asking them to pluck their pubic hairs one by one.
Of course, if they are using systems this old, these people would never dream of leaving on their machines over night to download. ("won't it hurt my computer to leave it on like that???") Not to mention that the 3 hours it would take to launch IE4 or NN4... Insuff. ram errors etc, etc, etc,
Christ, I find people with 17 SONY monitors and 8MB video cards who never knew that they could set their desktop to anything more than 256 colours and 640 x 480!!!
A good majority of users out there are still 3.0 generation. It's the developers who are all 4.0 now!

ALWAYS test for older browsers, never assume that the common user has a clue, and never ever assume that they will put extra effort into browsing.
"the internet is just a big TV, right?"
I swear to god, that is just the tip of the iceberg as well. (I did computer training for several years and tech support.. those tech support "Luser Joke" sites are all true!)
arf,
quinn