Subject: RE: FLASH: Flash vs. Dir for CD-rom development?
From: Brad Bechtel
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 21:25:47 +0000 (GMT)

I'm quoting the entire message Chrissy sent at the bottom of this message, because for some reason it came across as an attachment to Chrissy's mail rather than in the body of the message.
=======
I don't want to discourage people from pushing the envelope with Flash. You can certainly use the standalone projector as a front end for a CD, and you can certainly use the FSCommand structure to execute programs, wash your car, etc. <grin>. It's just that Flash is not marketed nor designed for that sort of work. If we were designing it specifically for CD-ROM development, we'd add in various features to make it easier to use for that purpose.

You can certainly drive nails with a screwdriver, too. It's much easier to use the tool that's meant for the job - in the case of CD-ROM development, that's Director. Director is excellent for some of those messy tasks that are a real hassle in Flash.

=========
Eeep! Now ya tell me :-P I am wrapping up production of a lovely demo CD, made almost exclusively in Flash (it's got a link to some HTML for a small portion, which was done in Dreamweaver *grin*). When we looked at what we'd use to make our little demo, Flash stood head and shoulders above everything else. We've got simple animations and interfaces... and it *looks* good (if I do say so myself ;-) ) Why pay the extra cash for Director and search for someone to learn it (or wait until *I* learn it) when we've already got Flash? Why pay out the wazoo for licensing to distribute Shockwave over our Intranet (I still don't understand how the United States Department of Justice falls under a "business" category for licensing purposes!) when we can just make a nifty stand-alone projector to distribute on CD? Heck, why did MM even bother to make the stand-alone projector if the resulting movies were only designed to be viewed through a browser? Why provide the means for the movies to interact with the stand-alone projector (and ultimately other applications!) via the FSCommands?

Oh well... Unless my next project requires some intensive interactions, I think I'm going to stick with my pal Flash :)

Chrissy Rey
Web Developer
United States Trustee Program
chrissy [dot] reyatusdoj [dot] gov