Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash vs. Dir for CD-rom development?
From: David Gary
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 22:27:54 +0000 (GMT)

Brad Bechtel wrote:

> I don't want to discourage people from pushing the envelope with Flash. You can certainly use the standalone projector as a front end for a CD, and you can certainly use the FSCommand structure to execute programs, wash your car, etc. <grin>. It's just that Flash is not marketed nor designed for that sort of work. If we were designing it specifically for CD-ROM development, we'd add in various features to make it easier to use for that purpose.

Hiya Brad,

Could you post your duties at MM? What dept do you rep?
I believe the reaction to your reply was direct due to the "black or white" approach you
posted about the topicto the functionality of Flash vs Dir. Its obvious the designers of Flash intended Flash3 to be more than just a "Web development only" tool. I believe it really depends on the app more than the tool. I believe the application's efficiency and effectivness governs what tool the developer chooses.

> You can certainly drive nails with a screwdriver, too. It's much easier to use the tool that's meant for the job - in the case of CD-ROM development, that's Director. Director is excellent for some of those messy tasks that are a real hassle in Flash.

CD-rom development is not black and white like you make it sound. Are you a developer of Flash? Director? Are you a designer, programmer, rep?

Again I think it depends on what your delivering. I still disagree that excluding the
use of Flash from CD-rom design or putting Director or Flash in seperate stereo types,
when its obvious they both have capabilities of either/or is a bad representation of both programs. Comparing banging a nail with a screwdriver to using FLash as a CD-rom developers tool shows that you really dont realize the power of Flash3. Now this is astonishing to me since its obvious you represent MM and should know the proggys you represent. I take it your either a Dir programmer or a MM rep.

Correct me if Im wrong.

BTW, it might be a good idea if you offered a title or position and who you represent
in your sig.

Thanks for the input,

-DG-