Subject: Re: FLASH: My pitfalls (was: Today's Humor)
From: brad merritt
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:26:41 GMT

>I already know about the ever popular... "I'll make you a superstar!" and
>the "let me see what you can do kid" ..... so...... Any other common
>pitfalls I oughta be watching out for?
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Al Rosetti
>http://www.websitepartners.com

Al,
One thing to really watch for is the financial pitfalls. I had a guy tell
me that I was an employee of his company. He was paying me with company
checks and told me that "I had to take care of my taxes myself." I was just
starting out so I knew little of finance and what not. Ends up this guy is
paying me 1099 form. That is illegal unless you are incorporated, so I had
to incorporate (which cost me a bit) so I was not breaking the law come tax
time. Granted I would have done it eventually anyway, but I was totally
forced into it and had to take care of all this crazy stuff before the tax
deadline(I found out about 3 months before)

Also watch for "consulting jobs" I went on with an ad agency to teach them
how to make web pages and animation. I pretty much ended up building the
pages that they designed. They really did not want to learn, they just
wanted a "web guy." Let me tell you how fulfilling that was. I couldn't get
out of it because I had a 6 month contract.

So can can get duped in many ways. But it is always a good learning
experience. Now I know how to make a good contract and get great tax
advantages.If you become incorporated, get an accountant. They can make
life so much easier for you come tax time you would not believe it.

Also a good thing to do is treat all your personal projects as if they were
professional projects. Even if its just some trick you are doing trying to
learn a new skill or program. Outline your time allotment and organization
for the project. That way you have alot more to show an prospective
employer than just your final product. You also show your ability to grasp
new info and problem solve. This also allows you to just show what you have
done instead of falling into that "make me a demo" trap that I think
everyone has done. I know I have.

Anyway, I hope this helps,

Brad Merritt