Subject: Re: FLASH: MM's Flash 4 wish list (Linux and other 'nix)
From: John Croteau
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 03:43:04 GMT

Hi Lulu and all,

>>> I don't want to start a battle of wits over this issue but compiling for
>>> different flavours of UNIX is very easy.
Not true. Unfortunately porting a copy of a Plugin from one 'nix O/S to
another 'nix O/S is not so easy. Porting a plugin from one system to
another requires specialized knowledge in both the original and the
destination O/S. Take tha case of Real which has ported 13 versions of
its Basic Plugin for 'nix O/Ses. Note that not one of these have made it
to their Plus (i.e. pay) versions because the project would require
reworking each plugin individually (it is still possible they will do
this but unlikely).

>> If Macromedia doesn't want to release the source code for the plugin
>> then they could with very few internal resources complile flash_shockwave
>> plugs for pretty much all flavours of UNIX includuing linux.
I doubt if MM has the expertise internally to be able to easily port
plugins to 'nix. Even if they did it would be a very expensive project
since as I said before this is not standard 'nix programming.

>>> does the *nix community just not care about flash because of the perception
>>> that macromedia is blowing them off by not having *nix players for shockwave?
>> Its probably a whole bunch of things but my perception is *lack of exposure*.
> Not reluctance so much as prioritization.
One thing I agree with you Lulu and other 'nix people MM should try to
provide the maximum support to any third party plugin projects for 'nix
platforms. But it should be the O/S developers that should be porting
the plugins to their O/S not MM. But MM should provide reasonable
support in accomplishing what should be a goal of both parties.

> http://www.linuks.ukpost.com/advocacy/shockwave.html
> http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Labyrinth/5084/flash.html

Need a PC ? -- Computer King --
http://www.crownmall.com/computers/