Subject: RE: FLASH: Flash text handling isnt up to par.
From: Len Harrison
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 03:48:45 GMT

Hi Lulu

Pardon my jumping in here, but my email software is open, and I was actually
shocked to read this. NO, you don't need to break apart text and it's
probably a good idea not to. If you look at the size report from shocking
the .fla, you'll see that the characters used by each font in your text are
vectorized and only those. You'll also get a byte report, of course, which
is pretty reasonable in size. I'd be curious to see if it was larger when
you broke apart but I bet it is because each letter would then be treated as
a unique object. Might be a lot bigger!

Moreover, if you have a lot of text, you can't edit it after unless you
maintain a separate file. But if you make your text symbols for tweening
purposes but broke it apart first, you'd be in a bit of a bind. Sounds like
it could get to be a real nightmare (my stuff uses a LOT of text and then
gets reviewed by bunches of people and changed a lot. plus when it's all
wrapped up, we localize in German and French. Works okay because all the
text is saved as symbols and the translators just work with that). Fonts are
no problem except for this Postscript issue which seems to affect some PC
users but no one 'round here.

len harrison
instructional designer
lenhatabtcorp [dot] com