Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash text handling isnt up to par.
From: Lulu
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 18:28:08 GMT

John Croteau said:

>Yes, for each and every character used in each and every font that used
>in your presentation the character's shape will be saved in Flash. See
>your report. This is why there is saving in keeping the number of Fonts
>used down. If you use an 'J' in Times and an 'J' in Helvetica then you
>will save a shape for each. But if you use a hundred Js in Times then
>you will be saving the shape information only once. To see how much Font
>shape costs in a presentation look at the bottom of the report. In the
>report it shows what characters in what fonts and how much they cost in
>bytes.
>
>Breaking apart a font character in of itself does not necessarily
>increase (or reduce) file size but it creates a non-font object (or
>symbol).

Thank you John for explaining this. People who have worked in Illustrator
and Freehand for a number of years may very well assume fonts are merely
linked to and not embeded in the .fla file unless turned into outlines.

Len Harrison said:

>I was actually
>shocked to read this. NO, you don't need to break apart text and it's
>probably a good idea not to

Based on what Mr. Croteau has stated I would happily agree with your
second conclusion but as to your incredulity over *breaking apart* fonts
I have a difficult time swallowing this.

Long time users of Illustrator and Freehand could easily assume font
outline information is not embeded in the .fla file.

Secondly, given all of the hoopla (justifiably so) that font designers
have made about embeding font info into documents and macromedia's
steadfast view on piracy it is not unthinkable to assume Flash wouldn't
embed font info in any part of the process except linking to fonts on the
resident system. The manual does not clearly state information on this
issue. If you dig through the manual knowing the answer you can conclude
what Mr. Croteau has explained.

-lulu