Subject: Re: FLASH: Movie Transparency
From: John Croteau
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 18:28:44 GMT

Hi Nigel,

> The question of movie transparency has come up several times on this
> list. This arises from the fact that I.E. type browsers support the
> wmode parameter but Netscape type browsers do not, so as would be normal
> people try to get the same effect working in Netscape.
Actually Netscape 4 was supposed to support this feature but MM,
Netscape and others have not been able to create plugins that would work
reliably using transparency and the other DHTML features.
If you look at MM's DHTML site
http://www.dhtmlzone.com/swdhtml/main.html
you will see "Netscape Communicator versions are on their way." This was
posted sometime late in 1997. So it is one thing we know MM is aware of
and wants to change so there is probably no need to send requests for
this to the wishlist since this is a feature that is only waiting on a
technical solution.

It's possible that pertinent code was changed in the final release of
Netscape 4.5 so I hope someone is rechecking (or will recheck) the DHTML
plugin situation with Netscape 4.5.

> Replies to this type of question have stated that you can set your
> background to a colour with an alpha effect and this will somehow work.
> This is not true.
Repeat DHTML layer transparency only works with MSIE 4 Win 95/98/NT and
does NOT work with any other version of MSIE and it does NOT work with
any version of Netscape.

Need a PC ? -- Computer King --
http://www.crownmall.com/computers/