Subject: FLASH: bad design with Flash
From: Robert Warnke
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 07:53:52 GMT

Hi John,

: > I have a big wish for the Flash Player:
: > It is very important for the user to have a full control about his
: > browser and the plugins.
: To expect that if you hit the stop button and the Flash animation will
: stop and you will be able to see just HTML then the site must be an
: HTML/Flash hybid site such as Marc Hoffman's
: http://www.jps.net/dartfrog/sampler/.

this is unfortunately not true. The Stop-Button work not right.

: Not all sites should be all Flash
: or even use many graphics but some are suited to this purpose and can
: give the visitor a more pleasing visual experience.

This is very impolite and the visitors will leave often this sides.

: Many designers use animations and Wait-for-Frames to provide a visual
: indication or amusement for a piece while it is downloading so their
: animation will play as designed. Others just waste your time but I don't
: believe you have the knowledge (at least not yet) to determine which is
: which.

I think you have no knowledge about the difference between interactivity and
animation. In my interactivity are no time for amusement. Do you have a
time delay in the brake of your car? I hope you have a good amusement.

: > My wish is please make it possible to skip over or to switch off this
: > stupid stuff.
: This may or may not be possible depending on the site designer's
: implementation of what he wants to do. Putting in a bypass animation is
: only possible sometimes. The decision is in the Flash designers hands
: and not the users.

And this is the big mistake of macrodemia to allow this. The results are a
lot of bad Flash-sides (see Macromedia sides too).

: > A good user interface is for me:
: > - NO time delays or animation between the interactivities. This is
: > very impolite!
: I agree I create Flash to stream and play virtually instantly under
: normal Web conditions but I fill time with animation to try to make the
: waiting process seem less like waiting.

Do you see a little animation in the time delay of the brake of your car?

: It is possible to design a hybrid site (Flash & HTML) to do as you wish
: but many sites are going to rely on Flash for all of their content. This
: will change when there is a single downloadable Font system possibly in
: generation 5 version browsers. Currently you have the option on many
: sites to choose Flash or HTML. Other sites are not going to give you
: that option and you don't have to visit them if you don't want to.

Of course it is possible to make hybrid sites. First I create a good
HTML-Code and if I have time I'll make a Flash file. I think the probability
that I 'll find such a side without good HTML-Code is fortunately very
small. The search engine can't see this sides. A big "thank you" for the
designer of this sides.

Robert Warnke
Berlin (Germany)
http://rowa.giso.de