Subject: Re: FLASH: Script Copyright?
From: John Croteau
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 07:27:30 GMT

Hi May,

> I would like to make a web page containing a collection of scripts (cgi,
> dhtml, flash, javascript) to offer novice beginners a place to go to browse
> through and learn. Not only will there be scripts but there will also be
> tutorials on web design.
A noble idea.
Another approach would be to contribute to an established site(s). This
could be ultimately more beneficial. Then concentrate on one aspect and
make that into a highly prestigeous point on the Web.

> Not all the scripts or articles will be written
> by me, only some. I was wondering if I would get into trouble if I were to
> take scripts posted on other sites and place them on my own. Of course I
> would include the author but do you think I would need to personally ask
> each author before I post their script on my site? I noticed developer.com
> has a lot of scripts which I could incorporate into my site.
It is no more legal or ethical to take scripts than it is to take
artwork. Unless otherwise stated you must always check and either pay or
get permission to use Scripts or Graphics. Often sites like
Developer.com will give you permission to use their scripts in your
projects but specifically exclude you from including it in a collection
of your own. Many scripts are basic variations of scripts already in the
public domain so you can often provide a similar script or adapt the
basics of the scripts (not copy) and put those on your site. Many sites
ID their scripts so they can easily track where they are being used and
if you copy these scripts many knowledgeable people will know the source
at a glance.

Need a PC ? -- Computer King --
http://www.crownmall.com/computers/