Subject: Re: FLASH: bad design with Flash
From: John Croteau
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 09:52:51 GMT

Hi Robert,

> : > I have a big wish for the Flash Player:
> : > It is very important for the user to have a full control about his
> : > browser and the plugins.
> : To expect that if you hit the stop button and the Flash animation will
> : stop and you will be able to see just HTML then the site must be an
> : HTML/Flash hybid site such as Marc Hoffman's
> : http://www.jps.net/dartfrog/sampler/.
> this is unfortunately not true. The Stop-Button work not right.
Actually Mark upgraded his page right after I posted the link and
because he is using better optimized graphics you have almost no time to
stop their loading now, at least not before they are already partially
displaying pictures.
Unlike you I think this is a good thing to get images almost instantly.
This is what the designer of a site wants so that visitors can see their
site as designed but quickly. Sites sans graphics seems to be what you
desire but I guarantee you are in a minority.

> : Not all sites should be all Flash
> : or even use many graphics but some are suited to this purpose and can
> : give the visitor a more pleasing visual experience.
> This is very impolite and the visitors will leave often this sides.
Despite your protests this is NOT impolite and surveys and statistics
show that very few people agree with you. So when you teach this, as is
your right, you should be aware that this is a view held by a small but
vocal percentage of Web surfers. And whether you like it or not, sites
will be made with Flash and other Multimedia that will not work as you
wish and they will continue to be the most visited and popular sites on
the Web. There are tens of million of pages on the web and you are
welcome to avoid any sites or new technology that doesn't agree witrh
you.

I understand that in Europe you have to pay for time spent on the phone
even at home. Few Americans have this situation at home.

> : Many designers use animations and Wait-for-Frames to provide a visual
> : indication or amusement for a piece while it is downloading so their
> : animation will play as designed. Others just waste your time but I don't
> : believe you have the knowledge (at least not yet) to determine which is
> : which.
> I think you have no knowledge about the difference between interactivity and
> animation. In my interactivity are no time for amusement. Do you have a
> time delay in the brake of your car? I hope you have a good amusement.
Actually, it does take time to put my foot on the brake and for the
brake to stop the car. And there is always a delay on the Web, it is
only a matter of how much and whether it is justified. A lot of the
delay on the Web is uncontrollable but making sites that are visual in
their nature smaller by using Flash is a good thing.

> : > My wish is please make it possible to skip over or to switch off this
> : > stupid stuff.
> : This may or may not be possible depending on the site designer's
> : implementation of what he wants to do. Putting in a bypass animation is
> : only possible sometimes. The decision is in the Flash designers hands
> : and not the users.
Most designers and their sponcers conside your turning off graphics as
extremely rude. Few would like you to visit their sites without also
seeing the graphic portion of their presentation.

> And this is the big mistake of macrodemia to allow this. The results are a
> lot of bad Flash-sides (see Macromedia sides too).
I wholehearted disagree.

> : > A good user interface is for me:
> : > - NO time delays or animation between the interactivities. This is
> : > very impolite!
> : I agree I create Flash to stream and play virtually instantly under
> : normal Web conditions but I fill time with animation to try to make the
> : waiting process seem less like waiting.
> Do you see a little animation in the time delay of the brake of your car?
This was not a good analogy the first time.
Do you think that movies or television shows should not be allowed an
intro or credits?

> Of course it is possible to make hybrid sites. First I create a good
> HTML-Code and if I have time I'll make a Flash file. I think the probability
> that I 'll find such a side without good HTML-Code is fortunately very
> small. The search engine can't see this sides. A big "thank you" for the
> designer of this sides.
I have looked at you site and see bloated but nice graphics and can see
why you don't want to inflict the loading time for your pages with
graphics on your visitors. But to prevent your images from loading they
must use the Stop button. On your page
http://rowa.giso.de/3DS/a_abau.shtml there are 3 graphics each over 50K.
Using Flash you could reduce each of those images to about 10K and
reduce the loading time of your page to a very reasonable amount of time
that anyone interested in your AutoCad work would not consider
excessive. In fact with the zoom in capability of Flash they are likely
to spend additional but hopefully productive time viewing your diagrams
in detail instead of still waiting on them to download.

There is no way if you design your Flash correctly that your visitors
would be able to stop your images from at least partially loading unless
they have a particularlly bad connection. Your idea of what can be
accomplished with HTML coding of an embedded object is uninformed.

Need a PC ? -- Computer King --
http://www.crownmall.com/computers/