Subject: FLASH: bad design with Flash - John made jokes (very funny)
From: Robert Warnke
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 15:31:16 GMT

Hi John,

thank you for your email. Some point were very funny.

: Sites sans graphics seems to be what you
: desire but I guarantee you are in a minority.

This is not what I said. I hate unnecessary time delays.

: Despite your protests this is NOT impolite and surveys and statistics
: show that very few people agree with you. So when you teach this, as is
: your right, you should be aware that this is a view held by a small but
: vocal percentage of Web surfers.

Is this really true? I made other experience. I know a lot of surfers they
hate animated gifs, for example.
I teach Flash now and my multimedia students are not very enthusiastic about
Flash. I showed the sides with MS-Explorer with highest security level (this
is the best way to use this). Instead of a Flash-Movie there were error
messages. "The standard" Flash is not sure for Microsoft.
It is no possible to see Flash movies with UNIX. The statistics of the hits
on my sides is there are more UNIX (LINUX) surfers than Mac user. Maybe next
it will come a Flash Plug-In for UNIX. I think the most Flash designer don't
change the Aftershock JavaScript for Plug-In detection then. I'll change to
LINUX or FreeBSD next too.
I showed my students the source code of Aftershock. They agree with me that
is better to change this before you can use it.

: > I think you have no knowledge about the difference between
: interactivity and
: > animation. In my interactivity are no time for amusement. Do you have a
: > time delay in the brake of your car? I hope you have a good amusement.

Please think about this again.

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

: Most designers and their sponcers conside your turning off graphics as
: extremely rude.

This is a very good joke! I can't stop laughing about this!
I never heard such a good stupid gag (sorry)! I think it is not your really
meaning!
It is so I think don't know what internet is! It is freedom and anarchy.
Every user can decide how he like to use it.
Besides Are the surfers rude they are use Lynx (the text-browser) on a
UNIX-Terminal in a University?
But sure the search engines are rude! They are see the HTML sides like Lynx.
Don't let they see your sides!
Why there are tools to switch off banner advertising and animated gifs? Only
for rude surfers!

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

: Do you think that movies or television shows should not be allowed an
: intro or credits?

Please think AGAIN about the difference between an animation and a
interactivity!

: I have looked at you site and see bloated but nice graphics and can see
: why you don't want to inflict the loading time for your pages with
: graphics on your visitors. But to prevent your images from loading they
: must use the Stop button. On your page
: http://rowa.giso.de/3DS/a_abau.shtml there are 3 graphics each over 50K.
: Using Flash you could reduce each of those images to about 10K and
: reduce the loading time of your page to a very reasonable amount of time
: that anyone interested in your AutoCAD work would not consider
: excessive.

The next joke!
Do you know the difference between pixel and vector graphic? I think not.
You mean if I put this pixel picture (examples of my work with 3D Studio) in
a Flash file the sum of both will be smaller? :-)

I have a good contact to many users of my sides. They say "this sides is
very clearly and good to use".
The tutorials (like the AutoCAD-tutorial) was downloaded very often. I warn
people who don't like to see the big AutoCAD tutorial. I show the size in
Kbytes. I miss such a warning on the most multimedia sides.
I haven't submit my sides. The issue is I have some killer sides for search
engines (glossaries) and my provider is a friend of mine. I can use his
webspace without costs. It will be big traffic costs for him.
I know that my sides are not a good example for design. It is not my
destination. A lot my of ex-students ask for tutorials and I show my
tutorials. That's all. Next it will be an JavaScript and Flash tutorial
but - sorry - in German.

I think your job here in the Flash fan club is to advertise Flash. OK, you
earn money for this. But advertise in the internet work very different to
advertise in other media. A lot of people hate advertise. Me too. I didn't
listen to radio station with advertise and I watch mostly tv station without
commercials and if there are I switch off.
And I switch off advertise in the internet so oft I can!

If you have more jokes please send me an email.

Thank you

Robert Warnke
Berlin (Germany)
http://rowa.giso.de