Subject: Re: FLASH: Zoom & Pan Movie Clips?+VB scaling? + Browsers & Javascript?
From: John Croteau
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 10:03:50 GMT

Len Harrison wrote:

> 1) Is it possible to zoom and then pan a movie clip or is that functionality
> limited to the movie as a whole? If you can do it, how?
> It's not one of the T... group of methods in the control and not a menu
> choice in Flash. Can you use the non-target methods on a target? (Flash is
> an ActiveX control in this context)
FSCommand Zoom and Pan is limited to the whole movie.
But you can pan, tilt and zoom a movie clip by simply moving it, tilting
it and resizing it. This can be implemented by nesting the Movie Clips
inside other Movie Clips (Nesting). Multiple functions can be applied by
multiple layers of nesting.

> 3) What browsers don't support FSCommand scripting? I know IE 3 doesn't
> support the "Javascript:function(parmlist)" thing as a URL, but I thought it
> supported FSCommand through VBScript because the control fires a VB event. I
> thought Netscape 3 and beyond (maybe even 2 since it does support
> Javascript) worked fine with this. Obviously IE 4 is not an issue. Are we
> talking about Opera, WebTV, or what? Or is this a platform issue, i.e.
> BrowserX on Mac's or something?
I've answered this twice last week.
Only the following browsers support 2 way communicationb with Flash
(FSCommand):

Netscape 3+ - Win 95/98/NT and Power Mac (Using Live Connect)
MSIE 3+ - Win 95/98/NT (Using ActiveX)

This is why if you don't already limit your browsers to these browsers,
I suggest that you use Movie Clip solutions and not JavaScript solutions
whenever possible.

Need a PC ? -- Computer King --
http://www.crownmall.com/computers/