Subject: Re: FLASH: Couple of questions
From: John Croteau
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 10:03:15 +0100

Hi Christian,

> 1)I've been creating movies at the default 12fps but a lot of the best
> stuff on the web seems much smoother than the stuff I am producing - is
> this because of them using a higher fps
Sometimes but this is going to help but only if you are tweening a
single item at a time and/or if using basic shapes (oval, triangle or
rectangle) or your viewer has a very powerful computer.

> (I am not moving around hugely complicated images,
Not huge is the key here. Smoother animations are done with SMALL not
medium sized objects. If you are importing an object then it is likely
to be too complicated to provide the smoothest tweens. Using
uncomplicated and highly optimized symbols or animating in a small area
of the canvas will create smoother animations.

> but there seems to be a slow down if there is more
> than one thing tweening at once -
Additional Tweens take more computing power and will generally affect
the performance.

> 2) Is there a performance degradation if there are lots of concurrent
> tweens happening on separate layers? Could I rectify this by replacing
> the tweens with keyframes
I find generally no speed increase by using keyframes instead of tweens,
only a larger file and thus longer download time which may affect the
performance.

> (eye4u's site prompted this thought as they
> seem to have a lot of stuff moving around at once, zooming in and out)
They tween only simple shapes or use only a small area of the screen.
In their button animations they are quite clever. There is usually an
incomplete screen draw on the edges of fast moving animations (this
varies with computer and video speed). By overlapping the circles this
incomplete redraw is partly obscured making it appear smoother.