Subject: Re: FLASH: Generator 2 and Flash 4 capabilities and limitations
From: Nigel Randsley-Pena
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 20:00:49 +0100

Jeff,

> Can you give me in simplistic terms what Generator actually does and why
> it might be a benefit to a web developer's client...

Well I can try, but not being of the marketing species my words may not
seem sufficiently convincing ;).
Generator is based on the concept of content templates, swt files.
Instead of creating fixed content you create a template file. This file
is similar to a normal swf file but unlike these it allows for some new
elements. Simplistically these elements can be viewed as place holders
for real time content generation. Let's use a practical example based on
something I created for a client some time ago. The client wanted to
have a graphical interface that allowed monitoring radiation levels in a
certain area (no I can't explain further). The radiation level data was
collected in real time and continually placed into a database. The
graphical interface should show a general layout, map, of the area, that
allowed various zoom levels and would show the most recent readings
based on the data. It also had to be able to trigger audio and visual
events when certain levels where reached. Generator allowed for a full
implementation of the clients specs. The general map with all it's sub
levels where built as templates. On access to the movie the final swf is
generated in real time based on the template and the current data.
All visual feedback elements get generated when the swt file is called
and the user receives a final swf file that reflects the current status.
Because Generator is Java based all audio event triggering was done with
via java extensions to the Generator engine that called the JavaSound
API, enabling the use of Beatnik based sounds events.
Due to the complex area that was being monitored and to the large amount
of data used Generator represented a very simple way to implement a full
solution.

> In terms of cost for the program and labor... what labor /time cost is
> involved with making the daily changes? Are they automatic? Or like a
> slide show, they pull from a huge pool of available but static resources
> on a server for the appearance of changing content?

A Generator based solution if correctly implemented reduces the type of
maintenance you are talking about. It's template based paradigm enables
it to be extremely flexible, and introduces a level of automation that
can cover most situations. Content generation is truly dynamic with
Generator and not quasi or pseudo dynamic like you can do with Flash
only based solutions.
So if your clients site requires continuous content update this is one
of the best answers you can give him. The increased initial cost it
implies is quickly absorbed by reduced maintenance costs.

The above is based on my own experience so you might find other
opinions. I think Macromedia has some test cases on it's site that may
give you further insight into this matter.
You might also try and talk with Ceri Smith from Macromedia Generator
Sales who will help you more than I certainly can.

Nigel