Subject: FLASH: New Shockwave & Flash player
From: Brian Mays
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 15:04:10 +0100

I know there has been some discussion of the new Shockwave 7.02 player on
this list, so I'm hoping maybe you can help me out.

I went to the Communication Arts online site, and it directed me to
download the new Flash, as mine was out of date. I already had the Flash 4
plugin installed, but I went ahead and downloaded as 1. I really wanted to
see the site and 2. I thought some bugs may have been fixed and some
features enhanced.

It downloaded the Shockwave 7.02 plugin and Flash player along with the
Shockwave Remote onto my Power Mac G3 300 Mhz, running OS 8.6. Everything
ran fine in the Communications Arts site.

But at another site it began to give me endless error messages about
missing Xtras in my Shockwave Xtras.

And then this morning I was attempting to view an animated cartoon
utilizing Flash 4 at www.adamsandler.com and it told me I didn't have the
Flash player. I first cleared my cache, and retried, that didn't work. I
then restarted my browser, and that didn't work. So I deleted the
Shockwave and Flash plugins from my browser (Netscape 4.6) and reinstalled
from the installer I downloaded yesterday. Still...didn't work.

I went to another machine that didn't have the Shockwave 7.02 installed.
It worked perfectly.

I finally solved my problem by once again deleting the Shockwave plugins
and installing only the Flash 4 player.

It is currently running Flash content correctly.

Is there something I did wrong in that process? We're beginning to do some
Flash sites here at work, so it's important for us to keep up with bugs,
developments, and upgrades. Can anyone shed light on my situation here?
Why the latest Shockwave installation kept me from viewing some Flash
content?

Or perhaps the problem was at www.adamsandler.com?

Thanks for your time
Brian Mays