Subject: Re: FLASH: Help with converting MP3 to .WAV
From: Marc Hoffman (Dart Frog Media)
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 02:34:13 +0100

At 04:05 AM 9/27/99 , you wrote:
>I would like to thank JD for helping me with my first question. Now, I
>face another dilemna ...
>
>I am creating a movie for my own website (Do something nice for myself for
>a change) and I would like to add a mp3 composition to it. The filesize of
>the mp3 is 4/579kb (about 4.5MB). This info on the sound is:
>
>44100KHz, 16 bit, stereo sound data
>
>When I try to convert this file to a wav, straight through, the filesize
>turns out to be 50MB. If I cut it down to a frequensy of 11.025KHz, if
>goes down to 12MB. This seems to be the best I can do without having any
>distorted sound. I am using smacker to convert the sound. I tried magic
>audio ring and also awave, but could not get the filesize lower.

Janou,

Try converting the wav file to mono. That will cut the size by half. By the
way, the only format you should convert to is Windows PCM wav, any other
kind of wav form will not import correctly on PC (on Mac you can use AIFF).
The program you use for the reduction is not likely to make a huge
difference. Personally I've had good results with Cool Edit.

After converting to 11.025kHz mono, let Flash do the rest of the
compression (MP3-type if you can use Flash4; otherwise experiment with
ADPCM levels).

Marc Hoffman

marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com (mailto:marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com).
My Flash Portfolio: <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler>
(featured in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn)