Subject: Re: FLASH: Copyrights
From: Jason
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 09:40:13 +0100

Hi John,

I stand corrected. As you say, however, the application of the law hasn't changed, even
if the letter has. As an artist in France the law is on your side more often than not
when it comes to intellectual property. I just signed a deal (both business and
artistic) for my site (see below) that covers the copyright. If it all goes horribly
wrong I'll have to pray that the application of what I say really is as solid as French
lawyers claim...

Wish me luck

Jason

John Croteau wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> > I was very interested by this reply. There is an enormous difference between
> > "Anglo-Saxon" copyright law and "Latin / European" law. French law is probably
> > the strongest here. In France anything you produce / create is considered to be an
> > inalienable part of your soul. You cannot sign away that right. If you sign a
> > contract whereby the copyright passes over entirely to someone else, that contract
> > is void and all rights come back to you.
> This is actually not totally true anymore, as a signer of copyright
> treaties the French have given up this absolute right. There is a moral
> right that varies widely in extent and this protect the rights of the
> original copyright owner even after a sale. Also, just as US copyright
> law has been modified by treaty so has the law in France, if not the
> enforcement. There are strick rules that can be applied to protect their
> copyright but legally they can sell their indivual copyright ownership
> but just like in the US if all the dots are not in the right place an
> indivual's sale of copyright can be reversed.
>
> The French yelled and screamed but they signed and the Berne treaty (and
> others) created a much more unified code of copyright worldwide with
> almost all major countries signing. There were major compromizes and
> changes in copyright law on both sides of the Atlantic. If you look at
> the US Copyright laws posted on the Web you will see references to
> treaties that void certain portions of US law.
>
> TITLE 17 Chapter 3 Section 301 of US copyright law:
> "(e) The scope of Federal preemption under this section is not affected
> by the adherence of the United States to the Berne Convention or the
> satisfaction of obligations of the United States thereunder."
>
> http://www.loc.gov/copyright/circs/circ1.html
> http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/circs/circ1.html#icp
> http://www.wipo.org/eng/iplex/index.htm
>
> --
> Coming Soon Flash 4 Web Animation F/X and Design
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1576105555/flashcentral
> ----------- -----------------------
> John Croteau croteauaterols [dot] com (mailto:croteauaterols [dot] com)
> For info on digest mode send: info flasher to list-manageratchinwag [dot] com

-- Around the world in 12 songs with Boowa and Kwala - http://www.boowakwala.com
A big blue dog and a strange yellow animal will help kids with their first clicks on
the internet.
Every month during 1999 kids will find a chapter of their tale, a song, some games and
the Boowa and Kwala Club.

Le tour du monde de Boowa et Quoila en 12 chansons - http://www.boowaquoila.com
Nos deux adorables personnages, Boowa et Quoila, accompagnent les tout-petits pour leur
premiers pas sur l'internet.
Des animations, de la musique, des bruitages, des surprises a cliquer... Parfait pour
les tout-petits !