Subject: RE: UKNM: plug-in take up/stats
From: Tomski
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 16:57:37 +0100

>If you're going to create good customer-focused web sites, then frames are a
>huge advantage to navigation if the customer's browser supports them. And if
>the customer's browser doesn't support them, then they will view the version
>of your pages that you have designed for the non-frames brigade.

I used to edit a high-profile, as-consumer-as-they-come UK content site
which in those days used a minimum of 13 (count 'em) frames on every single
page. Now there are none. And lo, the masses were happy.

That change was driven by directly by masses of user-feedback, considerable
user testing and a glimpse across the Atlantic. (high-volume content sites
Don't Use Frames).

>It might be trendy amongst geeky programmers to slag off frames, but
>remember before you join them that it is also trendy amongst geeky
>programmers to masturbate over pictures of Patrick Stewart.

Jakob Neilson is my sqeeze-du-choix when it comes to frame-bashers.
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9612.html (old but still on the button...)